The 53rd annual Grammy Awards will be handed out this Sunday. That got me thinking (again) about the connection between music and gardening. This summer, I found a few great gardening songs to sing as I was weeding and harvesting in the Organic Gardening test garden. Our Facebook fans made some suggestions, as well. Here are 10 of my favorites, in no particular order. Some are singable and some aren’t, unless you are a prodigious vocal talent.
1. “Homegrown Tomatoes,” by Guy Clark
2. “Talkin’ Harvest Time Blues,” by Stephanie Davis
3. “In an English Country Garden,” folk song
4. “The Return of the Giant Hogweed,” by Genesis
5. “Plant a Radish,” from The Fantasticks, by Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones
6. “In the Garden” (hymn), by C. Austin Miles
7. “The Garden Song,” by David Mallett
8. “The Anti-Garden Song,” by Eric Kilburn
9. “The Flight of the Bumblebee,” by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
10. “The Four Seasons,” by Antonio Vivaldi
What are your favorite pieces of garden- or nature-inspired music?
Tags: Music Songs Nature